16/02/2013 by Premadasa
This is a beautiful, short, 10 – line reminder which I came across toward the end of my last visit to my ancestral homeland of India. I was in Puttaparthi, near Prashanti Nilayam, the spiritual abode of Sri Satya Sai Baba. It was very, very hot and I had a few days left before my return and this practice came to my attention as I prepared for the long journey back…
What an amazing experience it was to leave temperatures of 42 degrees to return to temperatures of -16 degrees – almost a difference of 60 degrees. The heat from the experience carried me close to 6 weeks before I was able to feel cold. Somewhere deep within that temperature continues to burn…
I found reading and practising this list to be inspiring and strengthening. Try it for yourself for 10 days and for each of the ten days, focus strongly on the advice number according to the day. i.e on day 5, make advice #5 the greater focus (while remaining aware of the other 9). Feel it.
1. Talk less
2. Talk sweetly
3. Do not raise your voice in anger
4. Control desires, remove ego
5. Look inward i.e. keep your mind on the chosen form of the formless
6. Keep your heart and home clean
7. Follow the minimum spiritual disciplines like meditation, prayer, and namasmarana (Chanting of a Holy Name)
8. Engage in selfless service (charitable act) and share your love
9. Constantly remind yourself that you are Divine, which you are always proclaiming by SO (as you inhale) and HAM (as you exhale)
10. Remember Baba is with you, in you, and around you.
Satya (Truth), Prema (Love), Shanti (Peace) , Ahimsa (non-violence), Dharma (Right Path)